Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The First Trip to LA

The year was 1988. I was on vacation with my family in Sequoia National Forest. We were on our way home and I was reading the newspaper. The Los Angeles Times has been a staple in my dad's life since I can remember. The sports page was dominated by the story of this guy being traded to the Los Angeles Kings. His name...Wayne Gretzky! I was fascinated. I asked my dad tons of questions.

Two months later, the first game of the season was about to start. I was about to watch my first hockey game on TV. The lights were off and the PA announcer said, "and number 99, Wayne Gretzky". I was mesmorized! It was the same voice that years later would say "Los Angeles goal, a power play goal, the 802nd goal of his career, scored by number 99 Wayne Gretzky, assisted by number 33 Marty McSorley and number 20 Luc Robitaille" when Wayne beat Kirk McLean to pass Gordie Howe as the all-time greatest goal scorer!

That summer day, I became a fan of hockey! I became a fan of the Los Angeles Kings. I decided that first year that my favorite player was not going to be Wayne, rather it would be Steve Yzerman (and he is still my favorite athlete today!). It has been 24 years since that summer. I have watched countless hockey games. I have been fortunate enough to see Steve hoist 3 cups with the Detroit Red Wings (my 1a favorite team). But, for the first time...the Cup is in Los Angeles (arriving in Anaheim for the Ducks doesn't count). The Kings have a chance tonight to win the Stanley Cup...it will be inside Staples Center! I have waited for 24 years to see the Kings earn an opportunity to win the cup! I can't wait any longer! GO KINGS GO!!!!!

No comments: